Senior Software Developer, Teams
Posted Dec 2
Every developer has a tab open on Stack Overflow.
We are one of the most popular websites in the world - a community-based space focused on increasing productivity, decreasing cycle times, accelerating time to market, and protecting institutional knowledge.
Innovation is at the heart of everything we do. We embrace collaboration, transparency, and believe in leading with empathy; creating an environment where every Stacker knows they belong. We embrace that the unique contributions and points of view of all Stackers contribute to our success.
We are a Best Company to Work For, in addition to being recognized for Best Company Leadership, Best Company Happiness, Best Company Perks and Benefits, Best Company Work-Life Balance, Best Company Compensation, and Best Company Outlook.
We are a remote-first company with Hiring HUBs based in the US, Canada, UK, and Germany.
As a Senior Full-Stack Software Developer on the Teams team, you’ll join a cross-disciplinary team of developers, designers, and product managers working on new and existing features while supporting existing product tiers. The contributions you’ll make will have a far-reaching impact and help shape the future of the world’s largest community of developers. Some recent projects we've been working on include:
- Our Stack Overflow for Teams free tier, where teams of up to 50 people share knowledge together privately and securely on the Q&A platform that they already use and love.
- An upgrade to our search engine to provide a read-only search index of our public questions and answers to our cloud-hosted Teams and Enterprise customers. It even incorporates a new nested question and answer view that is a much more intuitive and useful user experience!
- Creation and rollout of our home grown and open source rich text / markdown editor to improve question drafting and editing for the thousands of contributors who use it every day. This feature was born on Teams and has made its way back to the public Q&A site.
You'll work primarily in our main tech stack of C#, ASP.NET, and Microsoft SQL Server, with supporting technologies like Redis, TypeScript, and Elasticsearch. If you’re not familiar with our specific tech stack, we'll pair you with mentors who will help you bridge the gaps. As a company dedicated to increasing developer knowledge, we’ll give you the resources and support you need to develop mastery in your craft.
We expect to see:
- Strong programming skills in your language of choice (not necessarily ours) and a track record of getting stuff done.
- 5+ year(s) of full-stack web development experience with any major server-side stack, relational database, and modern front-end (JS, HTML, CSS). Experience in our stack is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum, XP, or Kanban. You’ve been on teams that practice Agile and you understand why it’s beneficial for the team.
- Prior experience developing software solutions for companies and/or end users. You've built features and fixed bugs for a commercial product offering before.
- Self-motivating, self-directing, and a great communicator (written and oral). This does not mean that you need to speak or write English perfectly! You thrive in an environment that grants you a lot of autonomy to explore creative solutions.
- Excellent problem solving skills. You excel at analyzing and solving problems using technology.
- Living and working within GMT-7:00 (US) to GMT+2:00 (Europe) time zones.
We like to see (but not required):
- Experience working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically.
- Experience shipping features in a fast-moving, cross-disciplinary team (Product Managers, Designers, UX Researchers, Product Marketing, etc).
- Experience mentoring less-experienced developers. You know how to build skills and teach others in an empathetic and kind way.
- Experience with building high scale, end-user applications. Skills working with large amounts of data, feature flagging, and A/B testing of features are a plus.
- An active Stack Overflow profile, open source code, example projects that you're proud of (whether open source or worked on at a previous job), or any other evidence of your passion for building great software.
- Knowledge of how Stack Overflow works from our blog and podcasts.
Base salary will range from:
What You’ll Get in Return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- Generous paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Equity (RSUs) for all employees at all levels
- Industry-leading health benefits that are applicable per country of residence for all our full-time employees
- Company-paid Life Insurance
- Health & wellness stipend
- Home Internet stipend
- Professional allocation for your growth and development
- Home office allowance of 2,000 (for remote employees) with an additional 450 allowance on each anniversary date
- Company-paid access to Calm, Bravely, LinkedIn Learning, MyAcademy and Overdrive
Stack Overflow is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We value diversity, inclusion, equity and belonging and these pillars are at the heart of how we work together here at Stack. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For individuals based in California, and other locations where required, we will consider employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Misc Info For This Position:
Remote Mix: 100% Remote
Position Level: Senior
Job Type: Full-Time
Regional Restrictions: Anywhere Only
Apply for this Position
Apply for this Position
See All Their Jobs