Senior Product Designer, Platform Accessibility
Posted May 13
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Product Designer located anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. You will contribute meaningful and valued design work at a highly admired non-profit organization as our resident Inclusive Design subject matter expert, contributing to our design systems, product experiences and user flows. This role is roughly 50% product design, 50% accessibility improvements.
For this role, we want to see that you have experience designing accessible product experiences (especially for screen readers), creating and maintaining accessibility guidelines, and auditing/improving the accessibility of existing products. Experience with complex information architecture is a plus.
Designers have been in key leadership roles, including at the exec level, for a long time. This has made Design a keystone in the way we deliver wow (one of our values), and means that you'll never have to justify the importance of design. We are bought in on the value of accessible, inclusive design and are placing a higher priority on it by opening up this role. We genuinely care about people and value compassion in our everyday interactions. You'll be able to be yourself, feel valued, supported, learn and grow, no matter how experienced you are.
If you’re looking for the opportunity to grow as a Designer and an Accessibility expert through shipping high-quality products that solve real problems for learners and educators, we'd love to hear from you. Even if you don’t check every box (no one does), we encourage you to apply!
What you’ll do:
- Work through design problems from beginning to end: translating research insights and high-level concepts into ideas that form new products and features, then designing the workflows and detailed interactions to realize them
- Sketch and prototype ideas to quickly gauge viability, including the fine-grain details of interactions
- Iterate based on feedback from both the Design team and your product team
- Work closely with product engineers and quality engineers as they build, test, and ship ideas and perform WCAG audits
- Own the success or failure of your design work and initiate design and engineering sprints to improve shipped work
- Embed with the teams that own our Design Systems and Platform to ensure accessibility is baked into how we build product experiences
- Act as our accessibility subject matter expert on digital accessibility, universal design principles, Apple and Google Human Interface Guidelines
- Actively participate in our Accessibility Guild, sharing knowledge and best practices
- Write about, present, and share what you have learned, both internally and with the wider Design community via our blog and industry events
WHAT YOU BRING
Being a Senior Product Designer at Khan Academy means you have a track record of:
- Designing digital products and systems, not just websites you have helped ship products (our Product Designers typically have at least 2 years of experience)
- Designing experiences that people can access on any type of device: desktop, tablet, phone
- Working through the entire product development process with deep empathy for users, from problem solving through to detailed UI and visual design
- Creating beautiful high-fidelity mockups of your designs, using Figma ideally (we use Figma in-house)
- Creating clickable prototypes using Figma, Framer, Keynote, HTML/CSS/JS, etc.
- Communicating your design work and opinions clearly and effectively, with a rationale behind proposals
- Proactively moving design work forward by deeply collaborating with engineers, your product manager, etc.
- Content design experience is a plus
Submitting a portfolio with your application is required. We're looking for a portfolio that highlights your background designing digital experiences, clearly defines your role and impact, includes both visuals and explanations, and provides enough context that someone can browse through it and grasp the problem and solution you developed, without having questions about how you did it. (Click here for more Khan Academy portfolio tips.)
Qualities we value in Product Designers:
- Introspective, mature, and have excellent communication skills
- Invested in your own growth and the growth of our Design team
- Capable of navigating ambiguity, proactively seeking out the people/information you need to move work forward
- High comfort level working within a strong product and pedagogical vision
- Able to balance the immediate tactical needs of helping deliver and ship features with scouting ahead for what’s next
- Passionate about education and designing engaging learning experiences, deeply curious about how and why people learn
- Experience in educational technology (edtech) or prior experience teaching is a plus
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where Parents, Black and Hispanic/Latino, Women and Gender Minorities, and LGBTQIA+ identified folks come together
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
Misc Info For This Position:
Remote Mix: 100% Remote
Position Level: Senior
Job Type: Full-Time
Regional Restrictions: North America Only
Apply for this Position
Apply for this Position
See All Their Jobs