Senior Product Designer
Posted Apr 21
We're looking for someone to challenge us, push the company towards simplicity and speed, and help continually put the customer first. You'll work with us to tackle big problems in innovative and practical ways.
Let us introduce ourselves...
Patriot Software started in the basement of a factory decades ago. We’re located in Canton and have over 170 employees across the United States.
On to the good stuff. What we do. Patriot develops accounting and payroll software for American businesses and their accountants. Because we have a passion for helping our customers succeed, our goals are lofty: make accounting and payroll fast, easy to use, and affordable. We need exceptional people to deliver exceptional products and services. That’s why we only hire the best of the best.
So, what do we value in a new team member? Our search starts by looking for a quality individual who lives by our core values:
- We give more than we take
- We don’t take shortcuts
- We lead. We don’t follow
- We follow the golden rule
- We grow leaders
Does this sound like you? Great! Read on to see if your skills are a match, too.
We are looking for
- A limitless passion for identifying and taking action to solve problems.
- 5-10 years of professional experience in UX or Product Design.
- At least 2 years of experience working on a design team (not a team of one).
- Minimum of 3-years hands-on experience with user research and usability testing processes (either in person or virtual).
- Ability to translate observed user pain-points into actionable, testable solutions.
- At least 2 years mentoring junior designers to help them navigate the design process.
- A portfolio showing shipped solutions with details about your process, role and responsibilities.
- A proven track record of incorporating user feedback into your solutions.
- Ability to balance user needs with business objectives.
- At least 1 year of professional experience with Figma. We LOVE Figma, you should too.
- Self-motivated but able to work with team members when needed.
- Must be able to use your time wisely, stay organized, and prioritize various tasks throughout the day.
- Skill-wise, we're looking for strong information architecture design skills, a deep understanding of usability heuristics, experience with usability testing and user research, and the ability to digest large amounts of data into meaningful product direction. Great writing skills are essentialwe believe that good writing is good design.
Why you’ll love working at Patriot Software
There is an ever-present UX Maturity everywhere at Patriot Software even though we’re under 200 employees. User-centrism, testing and validation are all engrained in every phase of the process, and at every level of our organization with complete stakeholder buy-in. The various teams of the organization also work hand-in-hand in a true partnership between Product, Design and Engineering there is no us versus them anywhere.
This may seem like a breath of fresh air, so here are a few more key items you may love:
- We always strive to quickly take action to identify and solve problems
- New tools are not out of reach if they can provide immediate value
- We not only measure success, we celebrate it constantly
- The entire company has family-like culture with total honesty, positivity and collaboration
- We are always fair and will not tolerate toxicity in the workplace from any source
Here’s what you’ll be doing
Product designers at Patriot Software are always working on different things, which means we don't split designers between just UX or UIeveryone works together. You’ll work on everything from fat marker sketches to high fidelity prototypes (we currently use Figma). You’ll work on a team with a product manager and several developers, so each team has what it needs to go from the whiteboard to the customer.
Here are some examples of what your weeks might contain:
- Participate in customer interviews with your product manager to gain a deep knowledge of our customers.
- Understand our analytics/usage data to help inform your grasp on customer behavior. Work with the Product Manager to pick key metrics to gauge success after shipping.
- Work with your Product Manager to whiteboard a new feature. Rough out the boundaries of what that feature needs to do, and then create a quick prototype that you then take through both moderated and unmoderated usability testing.
- Participate in and lead team design review sessions. Provide insightful and direct critique for other's work and receive it for your own. We believe in open, challenging, and transparent feedback, but ultimately leave the final design decisions up to you.
- Collaborate with your engineering and PM team to help finalize design work and team feedback into a shippable product.
Please note this is a sample of what you’ll be doing. This job requires you to be able to adapt to change quickly in order to deliver an exceptional customer experience. Your duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Perks of Patriot
We pride ourselves on our company culture and value our employees’ hard work. Aside from the freedom to introduce new ideas or technologies, here are some of the awesome benefits our employees enjoy:
- Paid time off and paid holidays
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Section 125 HSA and FSA accounts
- Company-paid life, short-term, and long-term disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Up-to-date hardware and equipment provided
- Flexible scheduling and opportunities for advancement
- Education reimbursement
- We offer a flexible work environment and whatever tools you need to do your best work. More details about the work environment and perks can be found here: https://www.patriotsoftware.com/about/careers/
Are you ready to take the next step in your career?
Misc Info For This Position:
Remote Mix: 100% Remote
Position Level: Senior
Job Type: Full-Time
Regional Restrictions: USA Only
Apply for this Position
Apply for this Position
See All Their Jobs