Senior Data Engineer, Platform Engineering
Posted Dec 2
Every developer has a tab open on Stack Overflow.
We are one of the most popular websites in the world - a community-based space focused on increasing productivity, decreasing cycle times, accelerating time to market, and protecting institutional knowledge.
Innovation is at the heart of everything we do. We embrace collaboration, transparency, and believe in leading with empathy; creating an environment where every Stacker knows they belong. We embrace that the unique contributions and points of view of all Stackers contribute to our success.
We are a Best Company to Work For, in addition to being recognized for Best Company Leadership, Best Company Happiness, Best Company Perks and Benefits, Best Company Work-Life Balance, Best Company Compensation, and Best Company Outlook.
We are a remote-first company with Hiring HUBs based in the US, Canada, UK, and Germany.
The Data Platform team at Stack Overflow builds and maintains the data processing and analytic pipelines that democratize access to data across our organization. Your cross-functional team will optimize flow and collection of all of our product and business data, enabling data at scale for Stack Overflow. You’ll ensure that our data delivery architecture is optimized and consistent, enabling software engineers, database architects, data analysts, and data scientists to do their best work.
Data engineers have several key responsibilities:
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and Azure big data technologies
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Keep our data separated and secure across national boundaries through multiple data centers and Azure regions
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader
We expect to see:
- 5+ years experience building and optimizing big data pipelines, architectures, and data sets
- 5+ years working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL), as well as working familiarity with a variety of database platforms
- 5+ years working with Python
- Strong analytic skills related to working with free-form text
- 5+ years experience building processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependencies, and workload management
- A track record of leading and mentoring less experienced developers. You are eager to teach others and invested in the growth of your team.
- Self-motivating, self-directing, and a great communicator (written and oral). You thrive in an environment that grants you a lot of autonomy to explore creative solutions.
- Excellent problem solving skills. You excel at analyzing and solving problems using technology.
- Living and working within GMT-7:00 (US) to GMT+2:00 (Europe) time zones.
We like to see (but not required):
- Experience with Microsoft technologies and Azure cloud services for building and operating data pipelines
- Experience working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically.
- Experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum, XP, or Kanban. Certification is a plus, but not a requirement.
- An active Stack Overflow profile, open source code, example projects that you're proud of (whether open source or worked on at a previous job), or any other evidence of your passion for building great software.
- Knowledge of how Stack Overflow works from our blog, podcasts, and other public artifacts. Ideas about how to evolve the platform and increase our impact on the developer community are even better.
- Experience with leveraging cloud-native technologies and techniques to build product ecosystems
Base salary will range from:
150k - 175k USD
What You’ll Get in Return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- Generous paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Equity (RSUs) for all employees at all levels
- Industry-leading health benefits that are applicable per country of residence for all our full-time employees
- Company-paid Life Insurance
- Health & wellness stipend
- Home Internet stipend
- Professional allocation for your growth and development
- Home office allowance of 2,000 (for remote employees) with an additional 450 allowance on each anniversary date
- Company-paid access to Calm, Bravely, LinkedIn Learning, MyAcademy and Overdrive
Stack Overflow is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We value diversity, inclusion, equity and belonging and these pillars are at the heart of how we work together here at Stack. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For individuals based in California, and other locations where required, we will consider employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Misc Info For This Position:
Remote Mix: 100% Remote
Position Level: Senior
Job Type: Full-Time
Regional Restrictions: USA Only
Apply for this Position
Apply for this Position
See All Their Jobs