Manager, Web Development
Posted Apr 5
The Internet you know and love is at risk. A range of political and commercial forces threaten our chances to keep the internet a global public resource, open and accessible to all.
At the nonprofit Mozilla Foundation, we’re passionate about fueling a movement for a healthy internet. We do this by engaging movement leaders and inspiring thousands around the world to take action alongside us. We want to build a global movement of millions of people holding governments and big tech accountable, and we need your help to get there. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online!
The Manager, Web Development is a key leader at the Mozilla Foundation, enabling the development and delivery of web solutions that inspire action amongst our supporters, and support the Foundation in achieving our mission. You will lead a team of engineers to collaborate with technical, data, product and design colleagues to build and iterate on user-facing web applications, forms, and the services powering them in support of Mozilla’s mission..
You will act as a technical lead and people manager, managing 3 developers and 1 SRE (site reliability engineer).
- Lead an engineering team to deliver website features/experiences/solutions that enable us to engage our movement.
- Partner with Design, Content, and CRM/Data teams to understand project/product objectives, refine feature requirements, and make well-reasoned, user-centric design decisions based on scope, resources, and complexity of the problem.
- Prioritize and allocate project work to your team as part of an agile/scrum process with a dedicated Project Manager. Represent the team in planning and product meetings.
- Onboard new employees and contractors to your Team and to the services your Team owns. Be a positive influence on the team, fostering Mozilla’s cultural values.
- Evolve our CMS to ensure it continues to be performant and meet product, stakeholder and business requirements.
- Develop and deliver technical design docs, plans, and roadmaps.
- Provide technical thought partnership to other exciting digital products at the foundation, including RegretsReporter and Common Voice
- Provide foresight and direction on platform evolution - making technology/platform recommendations, evaluating fit and ensuring alignment with internal stakeholders.
- Develop and own the Engagement team’s engineering roadmap.
- Oversee the coding process to produce clean code with an eye toward maintainability, flexibility and high quality performance, balancing quality with continuous delivery. Help us manage technical debt and improve performance.
- Steer decisions around adoption and deployment of CI/CD tools and techniques.
- Mentor team members, facilitating successful career path development.
- Ensure the team delivers sites that are accessible and forward-compatible through the healthy use of web standards.
- Be an advocate for the projects and team members our mission depends on it!
Skills & Experience:
- Experienced managing people, holding 1-1s, giving feedback and helping coach team members to grow and thrive
- Prior experience architecting, implementing and managing Content Management Systems for high traffic pages
- Solid understanding of agile development practices and Git workflows
- Strong communicator, ability to thrive within our globally distributed teams and facilitate conversations with differing perspectives and priorities.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with a range of people, from engineers to program managers. Experience communicating with less-technical teams is an asset
- Experience with web performance, analytics, conversion rate optimization, and SEO optimization
- Ability to track, coordinate, and prioritize multiple projects on a range of timelines.
- Ability to strategically manage team workload, responding to emergent opportunities while ensuring tech debt is managed appropriately
- 5+ years technical experience in a production software environment, with 2+ years in a leadership role
- Exceptional communication skills, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Willingness to work during North American daytime hours.
We offer the following benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices:
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Misc Info For This Position:
Remote Mix: 100% Remote
Position Level: Manager
Job Type: Full-Time
Regional Restrictions: North America Only
Apply for this Position
Apply for this Position
See All Their Jobs