Chief Financial Officer
Posted Aug 9
Khan Academy is on a mission to change the world by offering a free world-class education to anyone, anywhere. In service to this great mission, we aspire to become a multi-generational institution that serves billions of learners across the world. It is with this aspiration that we are hiring a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) / VP of Finance as a critical thought leader to help take our organization to the next level by driving the fiscal sustainability and operational efficiency we need for our long-term success.
The CFO / VP of Finance is broadly responsible for all things related to financial stewardship and strategy at Khan Academy. You will lead a team of finance and accounting professionals, contribute at both hands-on and strategic levels, and partner with the cross-functional leadership team to promote our financial sustainability and ensure our financial model is aligned to our strategic plans. As the CFO / VP of Finance, you will provide:
- Serve as a thought partner to the CEO, Board of Directors and Senior Leadership Team on how to best use financial resources to achieve outcomes; support them in understanding how decisions impact the financial performance and sustainability of the organization.
- In alignment with the organization’s strategic plan, lead the development and oversight of a sustainable multi-year financial model that takes into account our current landscape and priorities; conduct contingency and scenario planning to inform decision-making.
- In partnership with the Chief People Officer, establish organization and compensation structures that align to Khan Academy’s talent vision and financial model while driving operational efficiencies.
- Build and maintain a strong financial foundation and lead continuous improvement across that foundation; make the finance function a strategic asset by building FP&A capability to provide leadership with insightful and actionable data to help the company achieve its goals.
- Champion financial excellence, establishing metrics, process, and controls for regular assessment and improvement.
- In collaboration with the Senior Leadership Team, design and lead a transparent and inclusive annual budgeting and forecasting process.
- Create transparent, efficient, routine and accessible monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for the board, CEO, and business leaders that define, track, and report progress on financial health and sustainability metrics and also allow leadership to maintain a consistent picture of financial performance.
- Coordinate with the Chief External Relations Officer on revenue projections, reporting and budgets for philanthropic donations and earned revenue.
- Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable, monthly close and other general ledger transactions and payroll and benefits administration.
- Oversee annual financial audit, ensuring strong fiscal management and financial controls throughout the year as well as efficient and effective audit preparations.
- Establish, communicate and manage strong financial controls and ensure accounting policies and procedures are well documented.
- Oversee treasury functions, including managing investments and reserves; ensure consistency and alignment with Board-approved investment policy.
- Build and support a world-class finance organization; lead, develop, and retain a team of financial professionals that can achieve goals aligned with our strategic priorities.
- Coach, manage and oversee the finance team in core financial functions, including: budgeting, accounting, capital planning, business planning and reporting. Oversee monthly and quarterly reporting processes culminating in a clean annual audit.
- Incorporate an exceptional customer service orientation, mission mindset and spirit of excellence into all aspects of financial operations.
WHAT YOU BRING
- A strong connection to the mission and vision of Khan Academy, a deep connection to the product, and the tenacity to see our mission fulfilled.
- 10+ years full time experience in a financial leadership role at a fast-paced SaaS and /or B2B technology company (3+ years experience in a financial leadership role in non-profit or K-12 education is a plus).
- Proven track record of being an operationally-oriented executive with exceptional FP&A skill set and an analytical, intellectually-curious mindset.
- Strong problem-solving and creative skills with the ability to translate complex financial information into accessible and transparent reporting across the organization to drive decision-making and resource choices.
- Proven experience in creating real-time reporting, forecasting, and actionable KPIs, leveraging sophisticated financial systems and modeling.
- Strong team player with excellent customer service orientation; ability to communicate, influence and build consensus across diverse stakeholder groups with self-confidence.
- Record of results managing both the big picture and the details of financial performance.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Competitive salaries
- Ample paid time off as needed we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where Parents, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Women and Gender Minorities, and LGBTQIA+ identified folks come together
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
Misc Info For This Position:
Remote Mix: 100% Remote
Position Level: Executive
Job Type: Full-Time
Regional Restrictions: USA Only
Apply for this Position
Apply for this Position
See All Their Jobs